Sunday, September 1, 2013

Dad- "Aliyah is perfect"


                                           

I guess for mother's it is easy to let it out...

Let out what is in our minds, what our hopes are, what exactly is bothering us... Women in general must have been made that way... to be vocal about their concerns.

Now men.... I just do not know.... what is my husband thinking? And of course, I do ask... (I am dying to know).... I do ask what are his thoughts, I need his input... I want to know his feelings about our special needs daughter. I do not want to feel as if I am dealing with this special needs stress all on my own.

Aliyah is our first child, so for the most part everything she accomplished was a milestone not an "inch-stone" when comparing to neuro-typical children. Even though we knew she was delayed, we had no clue how delayed she was until we had our second child, Bruce.

When we compare our 4 year Aliyah to our 2 year old Bruce, Bruce is ahead of the game and often acts like Aliyah's big brother.

Of course this gets me emotional, but for Sean, my husband, Aliyah's dad .. I just don't know.

I guess you can say he is the rock of this family. I crumble into pieces and he stays strong. He told me he doesn't need to cry to show his true feelings. He just thinks positively, and to keep in mind everything can be worse. We are fortunate to still have our Aliyah, epilepsy did not take her away from us. And that we do have blessings.

When I get pessimistic and extremely emotional he does not want me around. And I do understand that. ... Sometimes I would like to have my partner hold me and let me know.. to
reassure me everything is going to be okay, but I guess he does not tell me that because he, himself is not sure if that is true. His motto is "take it one day at a time." After that motto he usually ends it with "Aliyah is perfect."




A Father with a special needs child may deal with emotions differently than the mother of the special needs child. But I know he hurts like I do.. because he loves our baby girl... what parent would want a child to have any limitations cast on their child?

No comments:

Post a Comment